Nagykanizsa-Čakovec-Koprivnica-Zalakaros-Nagykanizsa (the tour can be started anywhere)
The complete tour offered by the formulated development programme of the bicycle network gives an opportunity to the travellers to get acquainted with the four towns, the constructed bicycle centres and the whole assigned/built section. During travelling plenty of elements of the active, recreational and cultural tourism emerge. The previous packages introduce the opportunities between the towns in details. The 262-kilometre-long route is worth a couple of days. With a little practice anybody is able to cover the distance in 4-5 days. In case of families a one-week programme is an excellent choice.
Nagykanizsa was built in the southern part of Zala county, 13 kilometres north-east from the Mura, on both sides of the Principális channel that connects the River Zala and the River Mura. The name of Kanizsa was first mentioned in 1245. At the beginning of the 14th century the core of the fortress already existed, which later had a reputation all over Europe after reconstructions and extensions. Unfortunately, nowadays there are not any remnants of the fortress. The golden age of Nagykanizsa was in the 19th century, which defined the current image of the town. It developed first into the commercial, then the administrative and cultural centre of its surroundings. It inherited a prosperous, booming trade and a vivid commercial life from the age of the Monarchy, which significantly determines the current image of the town: banks, buildings with homogenous facades in Classicist, Eclectic and Art Nouveau style, impressive and spacious green areas welcome visitors. The cafés, taverns, confectionery stores and restaurants create a Mediterranean atmosphere and spirit.
Čakovec is located 25 kilometres away from the Hungarian border. It is the centre of Međimurska county. Csák, the ‘ispán’ (comes) of Zala and Ban of Slavonia had its castle built. The name of the town originates from here. Csákvár became the property of Miklós Zrínyi, Ban of Croatia in 1546. The Zrínyis rebuilt and fortified the castle. After the family died out, the property was owned by the Athlan, then the Festetics counts. In the castle part the Međimurska County Museum can be found. The grave cover of Miklós Zrínyi can be seen here. The Fransiscan friars arrived at Čakovec at the time of the Zrínyis and built their first monastery then. But the Baroque church was built in the time of the Festetics family, at the very beginning of the 18th century.
Koprivnica is located at the junction of important commercial trails. The 14th century brought about the golden age of the town. Then it became the commercial, administrative and religious centre of Drávamente. The centre of the town is located at the place of the former famous castle. Nowadays only a bastion and two wall fragments have survived. Its parish church inaugurated in honour of Saint Nicolas with its high towers stands out from the buildings of the town. The 19-and 20-century buildings determining the appearance of the town give an exciting image to the town. The favourite topic of public statues is the bicycle as the town is committed to the improvement of the cycling tourism.
Zalakaros owes its good reputation to its thermal water (96 °C). The smallest Hungarian town is one of the 10 most popular settlements at the same time. The excellent spa offers really pleasant relaxation to each age group. After visiting the clean and ordered centre that is always full of flowers it is worth climbing the lookout tower of Zalakaros from where it is possible to spot even Lake Balaton if the weather is nice. On the vineyard surrounding the town the tired travellers can refresh themselves by means of a glass of good quality wine from a pleasant array of wine cellars.