The overall objective of the project is to create a network of infrastructure as a base for a complex attractive cycling tourism destination within the cross-border area of the Mura-Drava rivers. The project will create the missing link among the existing shorter routes and other main routes in the area, such as the Mura-Drava Bike in Slovenia and Croatia, the Lake Balaton Cycling Route, the Thermal Valley – Lake Small Balaton Bicycle Route, the Three Rivers Bike Route from Drávaszabolcs to Mohács and the cycling routes of the ‘Roaming along the River Kerka’ project.
The project covers the cross-border area of about 2000 sq km in the vicinity of the rivers Mura and Drava enclosed by Nagykanizsa, Zalakaros, Koprivnica and Čakovec.
The partners and their responsibilities are:
Lead Beneficiary - Municipality of County Rank Town of Nagykanizsa
- Construction of cycling paths (≈ 3 000 m) in Nagykanizsa
- Construction of a visitor’s centre and an XCO cycling track at the Boating Lake in Nagykanizsa
- Overall marketing of the project (marketing plan, project website, brochures, programme packages, workshop)
- Organization of an international bike event at the Boating Lake in Nagykanizsa
- Set up of a bike rental service at the visitor’s centre
- Mapping and signposting of approximately 300 km of paths
Project Partner 1 – City of Koprivnica
- Organization of 3 festivals (Drava Days, Bicycle Festival, Little Tern Festival)
- Establishment of a Bicycle Centre in Koprivnica
- Set up of a bike rental service at the Bicycle Centre
- Signposting bicycle routes (≈ 90 km)
- International promotion of the project at bike fairs
Project Partner 2 – Tourist Board of Međimurje County
- Preparation of GPS navigation system for the project area
- Set up of resting points with info boards in villages along the routes
- Organization of 4 Bike events during the project implementation period
- International promotion of the project on road shows
- Signposting bicycle routes
Project Partner 3 – Local Government of Zalakaros Town
- Construction of a 720 metre long cycling path in Zalakaros
- Signposting of the cycling path
- Organization of a bike event in Zalakaros
The total project budget is 1 999 230 Euro and it is financed within the Hungary-Croatia IPA Cross-border Co-operation Programme 2007-2013, from which 1 699 345,50 Euro is Community funding, 159 902 Euro is State contribution and 139 982,50 Euro is Own (public) contribution.
The Project implementation period is 1 March 2013 – 31 October 2014.